Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Transfer Pricing on Campus

    In such a big university like UIUC, students are always competiting because resources are limited. For instance, libraries or labs are filled with students, especially during final weeks; dining halls are so crowded that I can hardly find a place to eat; residence halls have limited rooms that cannot allocate all students on the campus. The course selecting system is also busy. Departments arrange times according to students' status: whether they have Jame's Scholar and the number of credit hours. If there is an innovation in our school to have Illinibucks, I think I will buy them because they can make my life easier and more efficient.
    Illinibucks can be used for all things I have mentioned above and some other important aspects, including dining, housing, library facilities, ARC equipments, parking lots and course selection orders.
    I believe that the price of Illinibucks cannot be high. I might be willing to pay a fair amount of money in order to select courses earlier because I can choose better a better schedule and more suitable courses. However, I will not pay much for housings or dinings because I have other choices by eating in other restaurants and living off-campus. I think most of students have similar thoughts with me. If the price of Illinibucks is too high, I might not buy them at all because I do not feel I can get sufficient benefits for my costs. It is also not appropriate to make the price too low. If the price of Illinibucks is very low, most of students will pay for them; therefore, it is still impossible to distinguish students. As a result, it is essential for the school to determine an appropriate price for Illinibucks, incenting but distinguishing students.

1 comment:

  1. I envisioned that each student would get an allocation of Illinibucks and that would be on a per semester or a per year basis. As another student posted, if students bought them the system would favor the richer students.

    It is true that we are a large campus and that things can become congested. I wonder, however, if you've experienced times where things are not so crowded by going at off times. That's part of the issues.

    ReplyDelete